March 25, 2020
If you are reading this post today, you are all probably bored out of your minds. In the United States, anyway, we are on a stay-at-home order due to the corona virus. All restaurants are closed until further notice. We all miss our favorite foods! I was really craving some comfort food and missing my favorite local coffee shop. I am in love with cream cheese danishes. I have been since I was young. I think it is the perfect complement to a hot cup of coffee.
I found this recipe years ago, so I can be given credit as its originator but it has become a family favorite. My kids always ask me to make another one as soon as it is gone. They love it too!
If you are in need of some comfort food and a good cup of joe, make this at home for yourself and your family. You will get a feeling of deja vu, bringing you back to that local coffee shop that you miss so much. You will not be disappointed.
Let’s dive into this amazing recipe!
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 T. yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar or 1/4 tsp pyure or swerve (sugar alternative)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar 1/8 cup pyure or swerve (sugar alternative)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar or 1/8 cup pyure or swerve (sugar alternative)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, mix together the warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, and yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a saucepan, mix together the sour cream and butter. Stir constantly until butter melts and to ensure that it doesn't burn.
- 3. Add the salt and sugar. Stir on a low heat until the sugar is melted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool before adding the yeast mixture.
- 4. When cooled, add an egg to the saucepan with the sour cream mixture and combine. Then, add the yeast mixture.
- 5. Add the 2 cups of flour and mix until a dough ball is formed.
- 6. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight if you want to make it fresh for the next day.
- 7. Mix together the 1/4 cup sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla extract.
- 8. Roll out the dough to form a rectangle about 12" x 18" and 1/8" thick or so. Cut slits along sides of rectangle every 1-2 inches leaving a 2-3" section in the middle for spreading the filling.
- 9. Spread the cream cheese filling in the center of the dough.
- 10. Fold the flaps of dough over the center in an alternating fashion to make it look like a braid. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- 11. You can enjoy it just like this or to kick it up a notch, make a glaze using powdered sugar and milk and brush over top. Enjoy this hot or cool!